Adelaide Writers’ Week 2026 cancelled after removing author Randa Abdel-Fattah

Over 180 writers quit the Adelaide festival in just a few days. This is about 70% of all the guests who were supposed to speak at the event, causing it to fail.

A major Australian literary event, the Adelaide Writers’ Week, has stopped all operations for its 2026 season. This happened after the festival board removed Palestinian-Australian author Dr. Randa Abdel-Fattah from the speaker list. The board said the choice was based on "cultural sensitivity" following a violent event in Bondi. However, this move led to a massive protest from the writing community. Within days, about 180 writers—roughly 70% of the invited guests—refused to attend. This caused the festival to fall apart. High-ranking leaders, including the festival director and the board chair, quit their jobs. This event has started a large debate about whether arts festivals should be free from political pressure or if they must follow government standards of sensitivity.

The total collapse of the event shows how quickly a cultural institution can fail when it loses the trust of its core participants.

Read More: Rachael and Lisa Maza return to Malthouse Theatre in 2026 to perform Black Light after 17 years apart

Australia news live: Randa Abdel-Fattah to appear at Sydney writers’ festival; record renewable capacity added to grid - 1

Timeline of Events and Key Figures

The situation moved quickly over a period of one week in January 2026.

  • January 9, 2026: The Adelaide Festival board removes Randa Abdel-Fattah from the Writers' Week program. They cited concerns about social media posts she made involving a Palestinian flag image during a time of public tragedy.

  • January 11–12, 2026: Large numbers of authors, including Jane Caro, Trent Dalton, and Peter Greste, withdraw in support of Abdel-Fattah.

  • January 12, 2026: The Director of Writers’ Week stands down. Norman Schueler of the Jewish Community Council confirms his group lobbied for the removal.

  • January 13, 2026: Louise Adler, a well-known literary figure, quits her position in protest.

  • January 14, 2026: The Adelaide Festival officially announces that Writers' Week is cancelled.

Key ActorRoleAction Taken
Dr. Randa Abdel-FattahAuthorRemoved from the festival program.
Peter MalinauskasSA PremierSupported the board's decision to remove the author.
Jo DyerFormer DirectorQuestioned if the event could survive such a move.
Louise AdlerBoard MemberResigned, citing issues with how the author was treated.
Adelaide Festival BoardOrganizersCancelled the entire Writers' Week event on Jan 14.

The Choice to Remove the Author

The board stated that they did not think Dr. Abdel-Fattah was linked to the Bondi tragedy. However, they felt it was not "culturally sensitive" to keep her on the program at that time. This was due to an image she shared online. Dr. Abdel-Fattah told the ABC that she posted the image before the full details of the attacks were known.

Australia news live: Randa Abdel-Fattah to appear at Sydney writers’ festival; record renewable capacity added to grid - 2

The South Australian Government has stated they did not force the board to make this choice. However, Premier Peter Malinauskas publicly supported the board. He also noted that the author had previously asked for a pro-Israeli writer to be removed from a different event.

"The board said… it would not be culturally sensitive to continue to program her at this unprecedented time." — Official Board Statement

The Mass Withdrawal of Writers

The reaction from the literary world was swift. When Dr. Abdel-Fattah was cut, many other writers felt this was an attack on free speech. Over 180 speakers pulled out of the event. This left the festival with almost no program to show the public.

Read More: ABC Adelaide moves to Franklin Street and plans for new housing at Collinswood site

Australia news live: Randa Abdel-Fattah to appear at Sydney writers’ festival; record renewable capacity added to grid - 3
  • Reason for leaving: Writers said the board’s choice stripped the author of her "humanity and agency."

  • Scale: 70% of all invited authors left the festival in a few days.

  • Impact: Without these writers, the festival lost its main attraction, leading to the final cancellation.

Was the board’s focus on "sensitivity" a genuine concern for the public, or was it a reaction to political lobbying?

Political Support vs. Artistic Freedom

There is a clear divide between how government officials and art leaders viewed the situation. Federal Resources Minister Madeleine King supported the festival's choice. She stated that the arts sector needed to correct "antisemitic narratives."

Australia news live: Randa Abdel-Fattah to appear at Sydney writers’ festival; record renewable capacity added to grid - 4

On the other side, authors and publishers argued that a writers' festival should be a place for difficult conversations, even if they are uncomfortable. The resignation of Louise Adler, a member of the Progressive Jewish Council of Australia, added weight to the argument that the board had gone too far.

ViewpointMain Argument
Government/Lobby GroupsFestivals must be sensitive to the public mood and avoid funding controversial views during tragedies.
Writers/ArtistsRemoving an author for their political speech is "censorship" and ruins the integrity of a literary event.

Future Appearances in Other Cities

While the Adelaide event failed, other cities have chosen a different path. Dr. Randa Abdel-Fattah has been invited to speak at the Newcastle Writers Festival and the Sydney Writers’ Festival later in 2026.

Read More: Filmmaker Frederick Wiseman, Who Showed How America Works, Dies at 96

  • In Newcastle, she will talk about her 2025 book, Discipline.

  • In Sydney, she is set to appear in two separate sessions.

  • These festivals are moving forward with her involvement, even after the events in Adelaide.

This difference in choice raises a question: Why did Adelaide find her presence impossible to manage while Sydney and Newcastle did not?

Expert Analysis

Experts in the arts sector suggest that the collapse of the Adelaide event shows a "chilling effect." Jo Dyer, a former director, mentioned that the viability of the event is now at risk because the community of writers no longer trusts the leadership.

The Jewish Council of Australia (a progressive group) showed internal division by having members like Louise Adler quit the festival board. This suggests that the "Jewish community" was not of one single mind regarding the author’s removal. The investigation shows that the primary cause of the festival's death was not the author herself, but the reaction of the writing community to the board’s decision-making process.

Read More: Adelaide's First Tall Building Construction Starts

Findings and Next Steps

The evidence shows that the Adelaide Writers' Week did not close because of a lack of money or interest. It closed because the board made a choice that the majority of its participants found unacceptable.

  1. Loss of Leadership: The festival must now find a new board and a new director after the mass resignations.

  2. Reputation Damage: The event may struggle to invite famous authors in the future if they fear being "cancelled" or if they disagree with the board's rules on speech.

  3. Government Role: The South Australian government has appointed a new board, but they will need to prove they do not control the artistic choices of the festival to win back the writers.

  4. Author Status: Dr. Abdel-Fattah remains a programmed author in other major Australian cities, suggesting that the "sensitivity" concerns were specific to the Adelaide leadership at that time.

Sources

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why did the Adelaide Festival board remove Randa Abdel-Fattah from the 2026 program?
The board removed her because of cultural sensitivity after she shared a Palestinian flag image during a time of public tragedy in Bondi. They felt her presence would be difficult for the public, even though they knew she was not linked to the tragedy.
Q: How many writers quit the Adelaide Writers’ Week in January 2026?
About 180 writers decided not to go to the festival to support Dr. Abdel-Fattah. This was 70% of all the people invited, which meant the festival had almost no speakers left to show the public.
Q: Who resigned from the Adelaide Festival leadership in January 2026?
The Festival Director and the Board Chair both quit their jobs during the argument. A famous board member named Louise Adler also resigned because she did not agree with how the author was treated by the board.
Q: Will Randa Abdel-Fattah speak at other Australian festivals in 2026?
Yes, she is still invited to speak at the Newcastle Writers Festival and the Sydney Writers’ Festival later this year. These cities decided to keep her on their programs even though the Adelaide event was cancelled.
Q: What did the South Australian Premier say about the 2026 festival cancellation?
Premier Peter Malinauskas said he supported the board's choice to remove the author. He believed it was important to be sensitive to the public mood, but many writers felt this was a move against free speech.