President Trump Orders Release of Government UFO Files After Obama Comments

President Trump has ordered the release of government files on UFOs and alien life, following comments from former President Obama. This is a major shift in how the US government handles these topics.

On February 19, 2026, President Donald Trump directed the United States government to begin the process of making secret records about extraterrestrial life and unidentified flying objects (UFOs) public. The announcement came through a post on Truth Social, where the president stated he would instruct the Pentagon and other agencies to identify and release all files related to what the military calls "unidentified aerial phenomena" (UAP). This move follows a public disagreement with former President Barack Obama regarding the nature of secret information. While Trump suggests that more information should be shared due to "tremendous interest," the military maintains that most sightings have logical explanations. The directive sets a new path for how the government handles one of its most debated topics.

Timeline of Recent Events

The current situation developed rapidly following a series of public statements from two presidents and official military reports:

Read More: Donald Trump Orders Release of UFO Files After Obama Comments

  • Late Last Week: Former President Barack Obama appeared on a podcast with Brian Tyler Cohen, where he stated "aliens are real."

  • Sunday, Feb 15: Obama clarified on Instagram that he was speaking about the "statistical likelihood" of life in a large universe, not specific evidence of visitors.

  • Wednesday, Feb 18: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters she was unaware of any upcoming speech on the topic.

  • Thursday, Feb 19: President Trump accused Obama of revealing "classified information" and issued his order to the Secretary of Defense, Pete Hegseth, to begin releasing files.

Records and Official Statements

The investigation into these files relies on several key pieces of documentation and public records:

"Based on the tremendous interest shown, I will be directing the Secretary of War, and other relevant Departments and Agencies, to begin the process of identifying and releasing Government files related to alien and extraterrestrial life…" — Donald Trump, Truth Social post.

SourceReported FindingsEvidence of Aliens
AARO 2024 Report485 new reports of UAPs in one year.None found.
Pentagon (2023)21 cases showed "anomalous behaviors" needing study.No evidence of ET technology.
Whistleblower VideoA missile striking a glowing orb that did not break.Unconfirmed origin of the object.
Barack ObamaStated aliens are real, later clarified as "statistical odds."Denied seeing evidence during his term.

The core of the matter is a shift from secret military monitoring to a public "identification and release" process ordered by the President.

Trump Says He Will Release Files on Aliens and U.F.O.s - 1

The Conflict of Information

There is a clear difference between the claims made by the current President and the explanations provided by his predecessor. Trump has publicly questioned whether Obama broke the law by speaking about aliens.

  • The Accusation: Trump told reporters on Air Force One that Obama "gave classified information."

  • The Defense: Obama’s office noted he was speaking about the size of the universe. He previously stated he saw no evidence of alien life while in office.

  • The Investigation: Since no evidence was provided to support the claim that Obama used secret files, it raises a question: Is this a disagreement over national security rules, or a difference in how the two men talk about science?

Military Oversight and Findings

The Pentagon has a specific office, the All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO), to look into these reports. Their data shows a high number of sightings but few mysteries.

  • The Numbers: In a report from June 2024, the military looked at 485 cases.

  • The Explanations: 118 cases were found to be common objects like balloons, birds, or drones.

  • The Gaps: Some videos, such as one released by a House Republican showing a missile hitting a "glowing orb," remain unexplained to the public.

Does the military have more data than it has shared in its 18-page reports, or is the lack of evidence as simple as the reports suggest?

Public Interest and Transparency

The government's focus on this topic increased in 2017 after videos of unknown objects were leaked to major newspapers. Since then, the public has asked for more honesty from the government.

Read More: LLNL Ideas Day Presents 23 New Concepts for Space Security in 2024

Trump Says He Will Release Files on Aliens and U.F.O.s - 2
  • Trump's Stance: The President says he does not have a personal opinion on whether aliens are real but believes the files should be open.

  • Agency Response: Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt initially appeared surprised by the topic, suggesting the decision might have been made quickly.

  • Past Leadership: Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick, former head of AARO, stated he never found evidence of "reverse engineering" alien technology.

Analysis from Official Sources

Experts within the government have consistently asked for a calm look at the data rather than jumping to conclusions.

AARO (2024 Unclassified Report):"It is important to underscore that, to date, AARO has discovered no evidence of extraterrestrial beings, activity, or technology."

Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick (Former AARO Head):Kirkpatrick told reporters in 2023 that there was no evidence of any secret program ever existing to study alien ships.

Statistical View:Former President Obama argued that because the universe is so big, the "odds are good" that life exists somewhere, even if they have not visited Earth.

Findings and Next Steps

The investigation into President Trump’s directive reveals a tension between political statements and military data. While Trump has ordered a full release of records, previous reports from the Pentagon have stated that no proof of aliens exists.

Read More: Kerala Government and BJP Disagree Over Release of The Kerala Story 2 Movie on February 27 2026

  1. Process: Secretary Pete Hegseth must now create a plan to review and declassify millions of pages of documents.

  2. Review: Agencies will have to decide what can be shared without hurting national security or revealing how military cameras work.

  3. Outcome: The public may soon see more videos and reports, but it is unclear if these will show new information or more "prosaic objects" like balloons.

The move marks a significant change in policy, but until the files are released, the existence of extraterrestrial visitors remains a claim without public proof.

Primary Sources

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why did President Trump order the release of UFO and alien files on February 19, 2026?
President Trump ordered the release of these files after former President Barack Obama stated that 'aliens are real,' which Trump suggested was revealing classified information. He wants the Pentagon and other agencies to identify and release all related government files due to public interest.
Q: What did former President Barack Obama say about aliens?
On a podcast, Obama stated 'aliens are real.' He later clarified on Instagram that he was speaking about the 'statistical likelihood' of life in the universe, not specific evidence of visitors, and denied seeing evidence of alien life during his presidency.
Q: What has the US military, like the Pentagon and AARO, found about UFOs and alien life?
The Pentagon's All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) reported 485 new UAP cases in one year, but found no evidence of extraterrestrial beings, activity, or technology. Most sightings are explained as common objects like balloons or drones.
Q: What is the main conflict or disagreement in this situation?
The conflict is between President Trump's order for full transparency and the military's official findings that show no proof of aliens. There is also a political disagreement between Trump and Obama over whether Obama revealed classified information.
Q: What happens next after President Trump's order?
Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth will need to create a plan to review and declassify millions of government documents. Agencies will decide what can be shared without harming national security, and the public may see more videos and reports soon.