Many Immigration Agents Leave Minnesota, Some Stay for Work

Many immigration agents who were in Minnesota's Twin Cities are now leaving. Over 1,000 agents have gone, and more will leave soon. A smaller team will stay to finish some important work, like looking into fraud and a protest. The government said this was the biggest operation of its kind.

The recent surge in federal immigration enforcement agents in Minnesota's Twin Cities is winding down, with a significant number of personnel scheduled to depart. However, White House border czar Tom Homan has stated that a smaller, but persistent, security force will continue its work in the region, even as broader enforcement operations across the country are set to continue. This development follows a period of heightened activity and public attention on immigration enforcement in the area.

Context of Enforcement Surge and Drawdown

The Trump administration has been undertaking a drawdown of its immigration enforcement surge in Minnesota's Twin Cities.

Trump's border czar says a 'small' security force will stay in Minnesota - 1
  • Agent Reductions: White House border czar Tom Homan announced that over 1,000 immigration agents have already left the Twin Cities area. Hundreds more are expected to depart in the coming days.

  • Initial Deployment: This withdrawal is part of a reduction from an earlier surge. Tom Homan had previously stated that 700 federal officers would leave Minnesota immediately, but this still left over 2,000 officers in the state.

  • Future Assignments: Agents leaving Minnesota will either return to their usual posts or be reassigned elsewhere.

Continued Investigations and Enforcement

Despite the reduction in overall personnel, enforcement activities will not cease entirely in the Twin Cities.

Read More: Deportation Flight Stopped After Man Eats Vape Battery

  • Ongoing Investigations: Agents will continue to investigate fraud allegations.

  • Protest Inquiry: Investigations will also proceed into an anti-immigration enforcement protest that disrupted a church service.

  • Broader Operations: Tom Homan emphasized that immigration enforcement and mass deportations will persist nationwide.

Department of Homeland Security Assessment

The Department of Homeland Security has characterized the recent operation in Minnesota.

Trump's border czar says a 'small' security force will stay in Minnesota - 2
  • Largest Operation: The agency described it as its largest immigration enforcement operation in its history.

  • Stated Success: The operation was deemed successful by the department.

  • Criticism and Volatility: The crackdown faced increasing criticism as the situation became more volatile. Reports indicated that two U.S. citizens were killed during the enforcement period.

Expert Analysis and Official Statements

Tom Homan, serving as the White House border czar, has been the primary voice on the drawdown and ongoing operations.

Read More: Keith Olbermann's Recent Comments Cause Talk Among People

"We already removed well over 1,000 people, and as of Monday, Tuesday, we’ll remove several hundred more." - Tom Homan

Homan has also addressed reports of internal disagreements. He dismissed a Wall Street Journal report suggesting friction between himself, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, and advisor Corey Lewandowski regarding deportation strategies, calling such differences routine professional debates.

Local Impact and Community Response

The enforcement surge in the Twin Cities has prompted local reactions and organized efforts.

  • Community Warnings: Residents in Minneapolis and St. Paul organized to warn immigrants of approaching agents and to document ICE activity.

Conclusion

The significant immigration enforcement surge in Minnesota's Twin Cities is being scaled back, with over 1,000 agents departing and more expected to leave. While the overall presence is diminishing, a smaller security force will remain to continue investigations into fraud and a recent protest. This drawdown occurs amidst the Department of Homeland Security's assessment of the operation as its largest ever, despite facing criticism and a more volatile environment that included the deaths of two U.S. citizens. Enforcement actions are slated to continue nationwide.

Sources:

Read More: US Offers Money to Help Migrants Leave the Country

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are all immigration agents leaving Minnesota?
No, most agents are leaving, but a smaller group will stay to continue their work.
Q: Why did so many agents come to Minnesota?
The government called it its largest immigration enforcement operation ever.
Q: What work will the agents who stay do?
They will continue to investigate fraud and look into a protest that happened.
Q: Did anything bad happen during the operation?
Reports said two U.S. citizens died during the time the agents were there.