Cannes: Blanchett says #MeToo energy slowed in Hollywood

Actress Cate Blanchett stated that the #MeToo movement's energy has slowed down. She observed that film sets still have many more men than women, with 75 men for every 10 women.

Hollywood Sets Still Tilted Toward Men, Says Actress

Cate Blanchett, speaking at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, voiced a somber assessment: the energy surrounding the #MeToo movement appears to have significantly diminished in Hollywood. Her observations stem from her continued presence on film sets, which she describes as still being heavily dominated by men.

Blanchett's core assertion is that the initial widespread attention and subsequent action galvanized by #MeToo have been curtailed, leading to a return to persistent inequalities within the industry.

Slavoj Žižek reveals his one rule for life - IAI TV - 1

Persistent Imbalance on Set

Blanchett elaborated on the ongoing imbalance, stating, "There’s 10 women and there’s 75 men every morning" on film sets. This observation, made during a staged conversation at the festival, underscores her perception that the shift toward greater gender parity has stalled, if not reversed. She questioned why this situation persists, asking, "Why does that get shut down?” The sentiment suggests a frustration with the apparent dismissal of ongoing issues.

Read More: Jessye loses £1,000 on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire gas question

Echoes of Cannes' Past

The actress’s remarks resonate with her actions at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival, where she led a prominent women's march. This demonstration, occurring during the peak of the #MeToo reckoning, symbolized a collective stand against gender inequality. At that time, Blanchett, alongside numerous other prominent women in film, ascended the festival’s steps to highlight the stark disparity in representation, noting that only 82 female directors had been selected for Cannes' competition lineups compared to 1,866 male directors over the festival's history. This past action serves as a backdrop to her current lament about the movement's apparent fading.

#MeToo's Trajectory and Weinstein's Shadow

The #MeToo movement gained significant traction in 2017, amplified by accusations against media mogul Harvey Weinstein. These allegations, numbering nearly 100 for sexual misconduct spanning decades, catalyzed a broader examination of power dynamics and harassment across the entertainment sector. Blanchett’s comments suggest that the momentum generated by these revelations and the subsequent public outcry has not translated into lasting, systemic change within Hollywood. She implied that what began as a widespread "reckoning" has since been "killed very quickly."

Read More: Naomi Ackie Prefers Directors with Clear Vision for Roles

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What did Cate Blanchett say about the #MeToo movement at Cannes 2026?
Cate Blanchett stated that the energy and momentum of the #MeToo movement appear to have slowed down significantly in Hollywood. She believes the initial widespread attention has diminished, leading to a return to inequalities.
Q: What did Cate Blanchett observe about gender balance on film sets?
Blanchett observed a significant imbalance, noting that film sets still have many more men than women. She specifically mentioned seeing '10 women and there’s 75 men' on sets daily.
Q: Why does Cate Blanchett think the #MeToo movement's impact has faded?
Blanchett expressed frustration and questioned why the push for gender parity has stalled. She implied that what started as a major reckoning has been 'killed very quickly,' suggesting a lack of sustained progress and action.
Q: What is Cate Blanchett's past connection to Cannes and gender equality?
In 2018, Cate Blanchett led a prominent women's march at the Cannes Film Festival during the peak of the #MeToo movement. This was to highlight the stark gender disparity in film directors featured in the festival's history.